This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-eastern tahsil of Farrukhabad District, United Provinces, comprising the parganas of Amritpur, Paramnagar, and Khakhatmau, and lying between 27 degree 14 and 27 degree 40' N. and 79°32’ and 79 degree 45' E., with an area of 182 square miles. Population increased from 73,218 in 1891 to 85,848 in 1901. There are 203 villages, but no town. Aligarh, the tahsil head-quarters, is a small village. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,18,000, and for cesses Rs. 19,000. The density of population, 472 persons per square mile, is below the District average.
The tahsil is a damp alluvial tract, lying along the left bank of the Ganges, and crossed by the Ramganga, which has an erratic course, changing almost every year. After heavy rains a large portion is under water, and several channels connect the two rivers. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was in square miles, of which 17 were irrigated. The wells are usually small shallow pits, from which water is raised in an earthen pot tied to a lever (dhenkli). Where floods are not feared, sugar-cane and poppy are largely grown.