This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in Ganjam District, Madras, situated in 19 36' N. and 84 40' E., midway on the road from Berhampur to Russellkonda, immediately above the confluence of the Rushikulya and Mahanadi rivers. Population (1901), 4,031. It is chiefly known for its sugar factory and distillery, which belong to Mr. F. J. V. Minchin, and in 1903 employed an average of 393 hands daily. The principal feature of its operations is the ex- traction of sugar direct from the cane by the diffusion process. This is worked by a battery imported from Austria, and it is stated that 25 per cent, more sugar can thus be extracted than by powerful cane mills driven by steam. In 1903 .the out-turn of sugar was valued at Rs. 1,71,000, and that of spirit at Rs. 79,000. The sugar is chiefly disposed of in the Berhampur market, and the spirit is supplied to the excise tracts of the District under a monopoly contract with the Govern- ment. The season for sugar manufacture is from January to the end of Mareh. Besides country spirit, other alcoholic liquors are manufactured in the works and also aerated waters. Aska is the head-quarters of a District Munsif and the residence of the proprietors of the Aska, Kurla, and Devabhumi estates. It possesses a town hall, the gift of Mr. Minchin, and a fine native chattram (resthouse) constructed from public subscriptions. A park is being laid out to commemorate the coronation of His Majesty the present King-Emperor.