Ahmadpur Town, West (Ahmadpur Lamma)

From Indpaedia
Revision as of 22:05, 4 May 2014 by Pdewan (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Ahmadpur Town, West (Ahmadpur Lamma)

Head-quarters of the Ahmadpur Lamma tahsil, Bahawalpur State, Punjab, situated in 28 degree 18' N. and 70° 7' E., 4 miles north-west of Sadikabad on the North-Western Railway. Population (1901), 5,343. It was founded by Ahmad Khan of the Daudputra tribe, which ruled bahawalpur, about 1800, and was originally the capital of a separate principality annexed to that State in 1806.

The town possesses an Arabic school and some Muhammadan buildings of interest. It is administered as a municipality, with an income in 1903-4 of Rs. 4,300, chiefly from octroi. The town is noted for its mango gardens.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions