This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the taluk of the same name in Akola District, Berar, situated in 21 degree 6' N. and 77 degree 6' E. Population (1901), 18,252. The town is interspersed with garden land and mango groves, and is plentifully supplied with water from wells. Several good examples of building in carved stone occur. Municipal administration was established in 1884.
The receipts and expenditure during the ten years ending 1900-1 averaged Rs. 13,000. In 1903-4 the receipts were Rs. 15,000, chiefly derived from taxes and cesses; and the expenditure was Rs. 15,000, the principal heads being conservancy, education, and administration. Akot is a large cotton mart, cotfort being dispatched to Singaon and Akola. Good cotton carpets are manufactured here, the best sorts being made only to order. The town has several ginning factories.