This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Abu Road (also called Kharari).Town in the State of Sirohi, Rajputana, situated in 24 degree 29' N. and 72 degree 47' E., on the left bank of the Western Banas river. It is a station on the Rajputana-Malwa Railway, 465 miles from Delhi and 425 from Bombay ; it is also the terminus for the hill station of Abu, with which it is connected by a metalled road 17 miles long. Population (1901), 6,661.
The town is of importance as a trade centre, as it supplies the needs of the neighbouring districts of the Danta, Idar, and Mewar States, and contains a combined post and telegraph office and a small hospital with accommodation for four in-patients.
The railway authorities main- tain a primary school for European and Eurasian children attended by 35 boys and girls, an Anglo-vernacular high school, aided by Govern- ment and attended by 180 pupils, and a hospital for their employes.