Abazai

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Abazai

Fort and village in the Charsadda tahsil of Peshawar Dis- trict, North-West Frontier Province, 24 miles north of Peshawar city, on the left bank of the Swat river, and a mile from its exit from the hills.

The river, here 150 yards wide, is crossed by a ferry, and is the highest point in British territory where a ferry is stationed. The fort, which lies between Abazai village and the hills, was constructed in 1852, and has been very effective in preventing raids by the Utman Khel and Mohmands on British territory.

It was made over to the border military police in 1894, and is held by 30 men of this force. Its chief interest now consists in the fact that it is close to the head- works of the Swat River Canal.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions