This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Tahsil of Hazara District, North-West Frontier Province, lying between 33 degree 49’ and 34 degree 22' N. and 72 degree 55' and 73 degree 31" E., with an area of 715 square miles. It is bounded on the east by the Jhelum, which divides it from Punch and the Punjab Dis- trict of Rawalpindi ; and it comprises part of the mountain valleys drained by the Dor and Harroh rivers, together with the hill country eastward. The hill-sides to the north and north-east are covered with timber forest.
The population in 1901 was 194,632, compared with 175,735 in 1891. It contains the towns of Abbottabad (population, 7,764), the tahsil and District head-quarters, and Nawashahr (4,114); and 359 villages. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to Rs. 97,000.