This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of Hazara District, and also of the Abbottabad tahsil, North-West Frontier Province, situated in 34 degree 9' N. and 73 degree 13" E. Population (1901), 7,764. The head- quarters of the District were fixed here in 1853, and the new canton- ment was named after Major James Abbott, first Deputy-Commissioner of Hazara, 1847-53.
The town is picturesquely situated at the southern corner of the Rash (Orash) plain, 4,120 feet above the sea. The garri- son consists of four battallons of native infantry (Gurkhas) and four native mountain batteries. The municipality was created in 1867.
The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 14,900, and the expenditure Rs. 14,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 22,300, chiefly derived from octroi; and the expenditure was Rs. 18,100. The receipts and expenditure of cantonment funds during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 7,300.
The chief public institutions are the Albert Victor unaided Anglo-vernacular high school, a municipal Anglo-vernacular high school, and a Government dispensary.