This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Ramnad estate, Madura District, Madras, situated in 9 degree 29' N.and 78 degree 27' E. Population (1901), 7,338, of whom nearly half consist of the Musalman trading community of Labbais.
The chief industry is cotton-weaving, and there is a considerable trade in grain, cotton, and cloth. The town possesses a good supply of drinking-water and a fine irrigation tank. A local superstition declares that within an area of two miles snake-bite is innocuous.