This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Nagina tahsil of Bejnor District, United Provinces, situated in 29 degree 24' N. and 78 degree 41' E., 34 miles east ol Bejnor town. Population (1901), 6,474, The place was founded by one Afzal Khan about the middle of the eighteenth century.
It lies low, and is very unhealthy owing to the dampness of the neighbourhood. The fort built by Afzal Khan was dismantled after the rebellion of 1857. The town is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 1,100. Excellent cotton cloth is made here by Julahas (Muhammadan weavers). There is a primary school with 100 pupils.