This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Capital of the Hill Tippera State, Eastern Bengal and Assam, and the residence of the Raja, situated in 23 degree 51' N. and 91 degree 21' E. Population (1901), 9,513. The old town is built on the left bank, and the new town on the right bank of the river Haora. Near the palace in the old town is a small temple much venerated by the Tipperas, which contains fourteen heads wrought in gold and other metals, which represent their tutelary deities.
A municipality was constituted in 1874-5. The income during the decade ending 1901 averaged Rs. 1,100, and the expenditure Rs. 3,800. In 1903-4 the total income, including grants, was Rs. 6,700, of which Rs. 720 was derived from a municipal tax ; and the expenditure was Rs. 7,400. The town possesses 1 Times of India, August 1, 1857. an Arts college, an artisan school, a Sanskrit tol, a dispensary, and a jail.