Ahmadpur Tahsil (or Ahmadpur East)

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Ahmadpur Tahsil (or Ahmadpur East)

Tahsil in the Bahawalpur State and nizamat, Punjab, lying south and west of the Sutlej and the Panjnad, between 27 degree 46' and 29 degree 26' N. and 70 degree 54' and 71 degree 32' E., with an area of 2,107 square miles. The population in 1901 was 111,225, compared with 93,515 in 1891. It contains the towns of Ahmadpur East (population, 9,928), the head-quarters, and Uch (7,583) ; and 102 villages. It is traversed by the depression known as the Hakra, which is supposed by some to be an old bed of the Sutlej.

South of this stretches the desert of the Cholistan, with sand-dunes rising in places to a height of 500 feet. To the north lie the central uplands, and beyond them the alluvial low lands along the Sutlej and Panjnad. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1905-6 to 2.2 lakhs.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions