Ahmadpur Town, East

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Ahmadpur Town, East

Head-quarters of the Ahmadpur tahsil, Bahawalpur State, Punjab, situated in 29°8 ‘ N. and 71 16'E., 20 miles south-west of Bahawalpur town on the North-Western Railway. Popu- lation (1901), 9,928. Founded in 1748 by a Daudputra chieftain, it was given in dower to Nawab Bahawal Khan II of Bahawalpur in 1782. The town possesses an Anglo- vernacular middle school, a theological school, and a dispensary. Its trade, chiefly in carbonate of soda, is considerable, and it manufactures shoes and earthenware on a large scale for export.

The town is administered as a municipality, with an income in 1903-4 ol Rs. 12,100, chiefly derived from octroi.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions