Aijal (Aizawl) Village

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Aijal (Aizawl) Village

Head-quarters of the Lushai Hills District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 23 degree 44' N. and 92 degree 44' E., on the top of a narrow ridge about 3,500 feet above the sea.

It is connected by a bridle-path with Silchar, 120 miles distant ; but stores are usually brought up the Dhaleswari river to Sairang, only 13 miles from Aijal. The station was established in 1890, and in 1901 had a popu- lation of 2,325. The rainfall (80 inches) is not excessive for Assam, and the climate is cool and pleasant. Aijal is the head-quarters of the Superintendent and his staff, and of a militarypolice battalion under a European commandant.

There is a jail with accommodation for thirteen prisoners, and a hospital with thirty-four beds. For some time .

[1 Cunningham, Archaeological Survey Reports, vol. xi, much difficulty was experienced in obtaining water at the top of the hill, but arrangements have now been made at considerable expense to catch and store the rain water. The bazar contains the shops of several traders, from various parts of India.]

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions