This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Tahsil of Amritsar District, Punjab, lying between 31 degree 37' and 32 degree 3' N. and 74 degree 30' and 74 degree 59' E., with an area of 417 square miles. It is bounded on the north-west by the Ravi, dividing it from Sialkot District.
The Sakki, a sluggish perennial stream, which falls into the Ravi near the southern boundary, separates the alluvial low- lands from the upland plateau which occupies two-thirds of the area. The southern portion of the plateau is irrigated by the Bari Doab Canal and the northern by wells. Cultivation is less extensive than in the other tahsils, owing to the inferiority of the soil. The population in 1901 was 209,869, compared with 224,836 in 1891. It contains 331 villages, of which Ajnala is the head-quarters.
The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to Rs. 3,61,000.