This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Wazirabad tahsil of Gujranwala District, Punjab, situated in 32 degree 16' N. and 73 degree 50' E., on the Wazirabad Lyall- pur branch of the North-Western Railway. Population (1901), 4,961. The municipality was created in 1867. The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 5,500, and the expenditure Rs. 5.300.
The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 6,400, chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was Rs. 6,400. The town is of no commercial importance; and its best claim to note lies in its being the residence of a familyof Khattris of the Chopra clan, to which belonged the celebrated Diwan Sawan Mal and his son Mulraj, governors of Multan in the later days of Sikh rule.