This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Central tahsil of Cawnpore District, United Provinces, conterminous with the pargana of the same name, lying between 26 degree 15' and 26 degree 33' N. and 79 degree 51' and 8o° n' E., with an area of 245 square miles.
Population increased from 102,256 in 1891 to 107,729 in 1901. There are 199 villages and one town, Akbarpur (population, 4,734), the tahsil head-quarters. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 2,16,000, and for cesses Rs. 35,000. The density of population, 440 persons per square mile, is below the District average. Three rivers flow through the tahsil and determine its physical features.
The Rind crosses the north and forms part of the eastern boundary ; on its banks the soil is reddish and very fertile. The Non rises in a swamp and drains the central belt of loam, the fertility of which is diminished by barren usar and dhak jungle. The soil then deteriorates as the ravines of the Sengar, which marks the southern boundary, are approached. Irrigation is supplied by the Etawah branch of the Lower Ganges Canal.
In 1903-4 the area under cultiva- tion was 131 square miles, of which 66 were irrigated, canals supplying two-thirds and wells most of the remainder.