This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in Fyzabad District, United Provinces, situated in 26 degree 26' N. and 82 degree 32' E., on the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway and on the river Forts (Eastern). Population (1901), 7,116. The town contains the ruins of a fort in which is a fine mosque, and the Forts is spanned by a massive bridge. Both mosque and bridge were erected by one Mohsin Khan in the reign of Akbar. Akbarpur also has a branch of the Wesleyan Methodist Mission, a munsifi, and a dispensary.
It is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 1,8oo. It has a considerable trade in grain and hides,and pro- duces a large amount ofcotton cloth. The school has 226 pupils,and the Mission maintains a girls' orphanage with about 25 inmates