This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters taluk of Akola District, Berar, lying between 20 degree 25' and 20 degree 55' N. and 76 degree 55' and 77 degree 25' E., with an area of 739 square miles.
The population rose from 137,988 in 1891 to 150,222 in 1901. The density, 203 persons per square mile, is higher than in any taluk in the District except Akot. The taluk contains 287 villages and two towns, Akola (population, 29,289), the head-quarters of the District and taluk, and Barsi Takli (6,288). The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 5,71,000, and for cesses Rs. 45,000- The taluk lies chiefly in the fertile valley of the Purna, which bounds it on the north, but stretches southward as far as the northern edge of the Balaghat, the southern plateau of Berar.
The Kata Purn flows northwards through the taluk to join the Purna.