This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Taluka of Ahmadnagar District, Bombay, lying between 19° 16' and 19 degree 45' N. and 73 degree 37' and 74° 7' E., with an area of 572 square miles. It contains 157 villages, the head-quarters being at Akola. The population in 1901 was 70,566, compared with 68,009 in 1891. The density, 123 persons to the square mile, is slightly below the District average. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 1 lakh, and for cesses Rs. 7,000. Akola consists mainly of the two valleys of the Pravara and Mula rivers, with the smaller valley of the Adula in the extreme north. The general character of the valleys is very wild and rugged ; but that of the Pravara, at a little distance from Rajur village, exchanges its rocks and ravines for the flat alluvial plain, known as the desk of Akola, into which the Adula also breaks after a fall of 200 feet.
The western half of the taluka, which includes the crest of the Western Ghats, enjoys a very heavy rainfall, averaging from 200 to 250 inches on its borders, whereas the desk or eastern portion rarely obtains more than 22 inches in the year.