This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Township of Akyab District, Lowei Burma, lying between 20 degree 6' and 20 degree 16' N. and 92 degree 45' and 92 degree 56' E,at the mouth of the Kaladan river. The township is a very small one,con- sisting of Akyab town and a stretch of country immediately surrounding it, 62 square miles in area. The population was 48,333 in 1891 and 47,427 in 1901, for the most part centred in Akyab town and port. It contains one town, Akyab (population, 35,680), the head-quarters of the District and township, and 60 villages. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 30 square miles, paying Rs. 50,000 land revenue.