This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
South-eastern taluk of Raichur District, Hyderabad State. Including jagirs, the population in 1901 was 30,222 and the area 184 square miles, the population having risen from 27,271 in 1891. The taluk has 43 villages, of which one is jagir, and Alampur (popula- tion, 4,182) is the head-quarters. The river Kistna separates it from Mahbubnagar District on the north, and the Tungabhadra from the Madras District of Kurnool on the south.
The confluence of these two rivers is situated in the extreme east of the taluk. In 1901 the land revenue amounted to 1.2 lakhs. The soils are alluvial and regar in the south, and sandy in the west.