This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-western taluka of Kolaba District, Bombay, lying between 18° 29' and 18 degree 49' N. and 72 degree 51' and 73 degree 5' E., with an area of 193 square miles. It contains three towns, AlIbag (popula- tion, 6,055), tne District and taluka head-quarters, and Chaul (6,517) being the largest; and 177 villages. The population in 1901 was 83,647, compared with 78,129 in 1891, the increase being attributed partly to an increased birth-rate, and partly to immigration from plague- affected tracts.
The density, 433 persons per square mile, is the highest in the District. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 2.52 lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 17,000. On the coast the climate is cooler than in other parts of the District. In the strip of salt rice land that borders the Amba river, the temperature is much higher. The average annual rainfall, 91 inches, is the lowest in the District. Alibag is broken by an irregular range of hills which runs roughly north and south. In the west and east stretch gardens of palm-trees and rice lands.