This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Eastern tahsil of Etah District, United Provinces comprising the parganas of Azamnagar, Barna, Patiali, and Nidhpur, and lying between 27 degree 19’ and 27 degree 54' N. and 78 degree 52' and 79 degree 17' E with an area of 526 square miles. Population increased from 161,994 in 1891 to 205,560 in 1901. There are 379 villages and six town the largest of which is Aliganj (population, 5,835), the tahsil head quarters
The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 2,11,000, and for cesses Rs. 38,000. The new settlement has raised the demand for revenue to Rs. 2,29,000. The density of population, 391 persons per square mile, is the lowest in the District. The Ganges forms the northern boundary and the Kali Nadi the southern, and the tahsil thus lies entirely in the most precarious tract in the District. Bordering on the Ganges is a low area of alluvial land, stretching up to the old high bank of the river, below which the Burhiganga, which has been deepened and straightened, indicates the old bed. The banks of the Ganges and Kali Nadi are both marked by sandy ridges, and where the rivers approach each other the light soil almost meets.
In the east is found a considerable area of rich loam. Heavy rain causes the whole tahsil to deteriorate, and reductions of revenue were made between 1891 and 1893. In 1898-9 the area under cultivation was 287 square miles, of which 85 were irrigated. The Ganges tarai does not require irrigation as a rule ; but the upland portion is served by the Fatehgarh branch of the Lower Ganges Canal. Wells supply about two-thirds of the irrigated area.