This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name, in Etah District, United Provinces, situated in 27 degree 29' N. and 79 degree 11’E 34 miles east of Etah town on the road to Farrukhabad. Population (1901), 5,835. It was founded by Yakut Khan, a eunuch in the employ of the Nawab of Farrukhabad, who was kilied in 1748 in battle with the Rohillas, and is buried here.
The shops are chiefly of mud, but there are a few large brick-built houses, the residences of the wealthier traders. Aliganj contains a tahsil and a dispensary. It was for some years a municipality, but is now administered under Act XX of 1856 with an income of about Rs. 1,500. There is a small trade in the collection of grain and cotton, which are exported from Thana Daryaoganj station on the Cawnpore-Achhnera Railway, 9 miles away. The town school has 140 pupils.