Aligarh Tahsil (or Koil)

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Aligarh Tahsil (or Koil)

Central northern tahsil of Aligarh District, United Provinces, comprising the parganas of Koil, Morthal, and Barauli, and lying between 27 degree 46' and 28 degree 8' N. and 77 degree 55' and 78 degree 17' E., with an area of 356 square miles. The population rose from 229,767 in 1891 to 268,012 in 1901. There are 342 villages and three towns : Aligarh or Koil (population, 70,434), the District and tahsil head-quarters, Jalali (8,830), and Harduaganj (6,619). The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 4,57,000, and for cesses Rs. 76,000. On the east the tahsil is bounded by the Kali Nadi. In the centre lies a depression which has been much improved by two main-drainage cuts, and the tahsil is now one of the most prosperous in the District. Ample irrigation is provided by the Upper Ganges Canal. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 246 square miles, of which 167 were irrigated.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions