Alipore Subdivision, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters subdivision ol the District of the Twenty-four Parganas, Bengal, lying between 22 8' and 22 degree 38' N. and 88° 7' and 88° 39' E., with an area of 1,164 square miles, of which 450 are included in the Sundarbans.
The subdivision is a deltaic tract containing numerous marshes, and in the south there is a network of sluggish channels and backwaters. The population in 1901 was 671,269, compared with 600,274 in 1891, the density being 577 per- sons per square mile. These figures do not include the suburbs of Calcutta. See Calcutta, Suburbs of. The subdivision contains six towns, South Suburbs (population, 26,374), Tollygunge (12,821), Rajpur (10,713), Baruipur (4,217), Jaynagar (8,810), and Budge- Budge (13,051) ; and 1,683 villages. The head-quarters are at Alipore, within the Calcutta municipality.