This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Eastern subdivision of Jalpaiguri District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 26 degree 24’ and 26 degree 51' N. and 89 degree 2,' and 89 degree 53' E., with an area of 1,142 square miles. The sub division is a level strip of country, intersected by streams that debouch from the mountains, and containing large stretches of forests ; but in the north-east the level surface is broken by the Sinchula hills, which tower abruptly from the plains. The population in 1901 was 119,353, com- pared with 72,447 in 1891. It contains the militarycantonment of Buxa (population, 581) and 178 villages, one of which, Alipur, is the head-quarters. The subdivision forms part of the Western Duars, and owing to the introduction of tea cultivation, has developed very rapidly since its acquisition from Bhutan ; but it is still sparsely populated and has a density of only 105 persons per square mile. The chief markets are at Alipur, Buxa, and Falakata.