This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Southern tahsil of Muzaffargarh District, Punjab, lying between 28 degree 56' and 29 degree 46' N. and 70 degree 31' and 71 degree 9' E., with an area of 924 square miles. The Indus bounds it on the west and the Chenab on the east, till they meet at the southern apex of the tahsil. The country lies low, and the southern portion remains under water for months during the hot season. The population in 1901 was 130,595, compared with 122,068 in 1891. It contains the towns of Alipur (population, 2,788), the head-quarters, and Khairpur (2,257); and 182 villages. SItpur is a place oF historical interest. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 2.7 lakhs.