This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same name in Jalpaiguri District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 26 degree 29' N. and 89 degree 32' E., on the north bank of the Kaljani river. Population (1901), 571. Alipur is an important seat of trade on the Cooch Behar State Railway, and is connected by road with Jalpaiguri and Buxa. An annual fair is held, lasting for a month from the middle of February, at which agricultural produce and stock are exhibeted and prizes given. The station contains the usual public buildings'; the subsidiary jail has accommodation for 22 prisoners. Alipur is the head-quarters of a detachment of the Northern Bengal Mounted Rifles.