This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
A petty sanad State in Central India, under the Bundel- khand Agency, with an area of about 73 square miles. It is bounded on the north, south, and east by the Hamirpur District of the United Provinces, and on the west by the Garrauli jagir. The chief belongs to the Parihar clan of the Agnikula group ol Rajputs. One Garib Das, in 1708, entered the service of the Panna chief: and his grandson, Achal Singh, received the territories now forming this holding from Raja Hindupat of Panna, in 1757. When All Bahadur of Banda acquired possession of Bundelkhand, he confirmed Diwan Pratap Singh in the jagir, who thereupon called the principal town Alipura after his suzerain. In 1808 Pratap Singh's possession was recognized by the British Govern- ment, and a sanad was granted to him. Pratap Singh had four sons, the eldest of whom, Rao Pancham, on succeeding in 1835, divided the into four parts. This gave rise to disturbances, and the division, which had Never been reported to the British Government, was cancelled.
Diwan Hindupat, who was in possession in 1857, was rewarded with a khilat of Rs. 5,000 for loyal service during the Mutiny. An adoption sanad was granted him in 1862. The present chief, Chhatrapati Singh, succeeded by adoption in 1871. In 1877 he received the title of Rao Bahadur, in 1887 the C.S.I., and in 1903 the title of Raja. The jagirdar bears the hereditary title of Rao.
The population at the last three enumerations was: (1881) 14,891, (1891) 15,280, and (1901) 14.592. Hindus number 13.730. or 94 per cent., and Musalmans 796. The State contains 31 villages. Of the total area, 18 square miles, or 25 per cent., are cultivated, of which 3 square miles are irrigable : 10 square miles are under forest;15 are cultivable; and the rest is waste. The soil is of moderate fertility, and grows fair crops of all the ordinary grains.
The chief administers the State, and has power to try all criminal cases, except those of a serious nature involving a sentence of death, transportation, or imprisonment for life, which are dealt with by the Political Agent. The total revenue is Rs. 30,000, of which Rs. 23,000, or 76 per cent., is derived from land. Alipura, the chief town of the State, is situated in 25degree 10’N. and 79 degree c 21' E.. on the high road between Jhansi and Satna, 9 miles from Harpalpur station on the Jhansi- Manikpur branch of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway, and 9 miles from the cantonmentol Nowgong. It is picturesquely placed on rising ground about half a mile from the Harpalpur- Nowgong road, the principal building being a small fort, the residence of the chief. The town has a population (1901) of 2,493.