This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Southern taluk of Hassan District, Mysore, lying between 12 31' and 12 50' N. and 75 56' and 76 12' E., with an area of 261 square miles. The population in 1901 was 76,775, compared with 75,812 in 1891. The taluk contains three towns, Arkalgud (population, 4,903), the head-quarters, Konanur (2,328), and Basavapatna (1,684) ; and 300 villages. The land revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,25,000. The Hemavati river forms the northern boundary, and the Cauvery runs through part of the south. The rice crop served by the river channels is one of great yield and certainty. Near the large tanks rice is followed by a crop of onions, which is very profitable. The west of the taluk up to the borders of Coorg is jungly and hilly. In the south are numerous coco-nut and areca-nut gardens, but the areca-nut is the coarse variety called godu. On the high watershed in the centre much tobacco is grown, which is converted into snuff.