This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in North Areot District, Madras, situated in 12 41' N. and 79 17' E. It is the head-quarters of a Deputy-Collector and other officials; population (1901), 12,485. The most interesting building is the fort, an almost square structure which has been dismantled to a great extent. Until thirty years ago, Arni was a military station and at one time a very large one, as the long lines of deserted barracks testify. These barracks are fast falling into disrepair, but portions are still used as public offices. There are two old European cemeteries near the western walls.
An imposing monument in the shape of a high column stands on one side of the parade ground ; it was erected, as an inscription shows, by an officer of the garrison in memory of a brother officer whom he had shot in a duel. At the north-west angle of the enclosure is a fine old temple somewhat recalling that in the Vellore fort, though it does not contain such excellent sculpture. A consider- able industry in the manufacture of silk and cotton fabrics is carried on in the town.