Arvi Tahsil, 1908

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Arvi Tahsil, 1908

Northern tahsil of Wardha District, Central Provinces, lying between 20 45' and 21 22' N. and 78 3' and 78 39/ E., with an area of 890 square miles. The population in 1901 was 137,737, compared with 131,174 in 1891. The density is 155 persons per square mile. The tahsil has two towns, Arvi (population, 10,676), the head-quarters, and Ashti (5,237); and 299 inhabited villages. The tahsil is an important cotton tract, and is known also for its fine breed of cattle. The eastern portion is hilly, while to the west a narrow strip of very fertile black soil lies along the bank of the Wardha river. Excluding 180 square miles of Government forest, 70 per cent, of the available area is occupied for cultivation. The cultivated area in 1903-4 was 472 square miles. The demand for land revenue in the same year was Rs. 1,98,000, and for cesses Rs. 19,000.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions