This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in Wardha District, Central Provinces, situated in 20 59" N. and 78 10' E., 22 miles from Pulgaon station. Population (1901), 10,676. Arvi was created a municipality in 1867. The municipal receipts during the decade ending 1901 averaged Rs. 14,200. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 27,000, derived principally from octroi and market dues. The town is a flourishing centre of the cotton trade, and contains 7 ginning factories and 3 presses, most of which have been erected within the five years ending 1903. Their aggregate capital is 6| lakhs, and the profits for 1904 were Rs. 79,000. The water-supply is inadequate, and a water-works scheme is under consideration. A weekly cattle market is held here. Arvl has an English middle school, a dispensary, a public library, and a fine sarai constructed at a cost of Rs. 15,000 by one of the residents. A large market to cost Rs. 40,000 is shortly to be built in the town.