This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Village in the Kadur taluk of Kadur District, Mysore, situated in 13 42' N. and 76 6' E., 5 miles from Ajjampur railway station. Population (1901), 1,006. In ancient times it was a place of considerable importance. Under the Gangas and the Hoysalas it was the chief city of a principality, which in the eighth century was governed by Vijayaditya, son of the king Sripurusha, and in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries by a line of Ganga chiefs.