Asansol Town

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Asansol Town

Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same name in Burdwan District, Bengal, situated in 23 41' N. and 86° 59' E., on the East Indian Railway, 132 miles from Calcutta. Population (1901), 14,906. Asansol is a rapidly growing town, being an important railway junction and one of the chief centres of the coal industry. A large number of European and Eurasian employes live here. It was constituted a municipality in 1896. The income and expenditure during the decade ending in 190 1-2 averaged Rs. 14,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 20,300, half of which was derived from a tax on houses and lands ; and the expenditure was Rs. 20,400, including Rs. 9,000 spent on conservancy. The East Indian Railway Volunteers and the ' B ' troop of the Chota Nagpur Mounted Rifles have their head-quarters at Asansol. A Roman Catholic mission maintains a church, a convent, and schools ; and a Methodist Episcopal mission supports a leper asylum, an orphanage, and a girls' school. The town contains the usual public offices ; the subsidiary jail has accommodation for 44 prisoners.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions