This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Valva taluka of Satara District, Bombay, situated in 16 57' N. and 74 25' E., on the right bank of the river Kistna, and on the main road from Miraj to Satara, 20 miles north-west of the former, and 61 miles south-east of the latter. Population (1901), 12,409. Ashta is an agricultural town, with a weekly market, and an annual fair held in June, when about 5,000 persons assemble. It has been a municipality since 1853. During the decade ending 1901 the income averaged Rs. 5,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 3,200. The town contains an English school and a dispensary.