This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Arvl tahsil of Wardha District, Central Pro- vinces, situated in 21 12' N. and 78 ir/ E., 39 miles from Pulgaon station. Population (1901), 5,237. Ashti was the seat of government of part of Wardha and Berar under the Mughal empire, and two hand- some mausoleums built over the graves of Afghan nobles who adminis- tered these territories during the reign of JahangTr are still standing. A cotton-ginning and pressing factory was erected in 1894. Ashti possesses an English middle school, and a town fund is raised for purposes of sanitation.