This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Principal town of an estate of the same name in the north of the State of Udaipur, Rajputana, situated in 25 44/ N. and 74 19' E., on the left bank of the Khari river, a tributary of the Banas, about 90 miles north-east of Udaipur city. Population (1901), 2,237. The estate, which is held by one of the first-class nobles of Mewar, who is styled Rawat, consists of 72 villages. The income is about Rs. 80,000, and a tribute of about Rs. 1,040 is paid to the Darbar. The Rawat of Asind belongs to the Chondawat family of the Sesodia clan of Rajputs ; and the founder of this particular house, Thakur Ajit Singh, signed, on behalf of the Maharana, the treaty of 18 18 with the British Government.