This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of a zila or district of the same name, in the north-east corner of the State of Udaipur, Rajputana, situated in 25*^ 37' N. and 75° 17' E., about 12 miles south-west of the canton- ment of Deoh'. Population (1901), 3,399. On an isolated hill over- looking the town, and guarding the eastern entrance of an important pass, stands a large and strong fort consisting of two ramparts, one within the other, each having a deep ditch and numerous bastions. Jahazpur contains a primary school attended by 70 boys, and a hospital with accommodation for 10 in-patients. The town is said to have been taken by Akbar from the Rana about 1567, and seven years later was given mjdglr to Jagmal, who had gone over to the imperial court in consequence of some disagreement with his elder brother, Rana Pratap Singh. In the eighteenth century it was held for short periods by the Raja of Shahpura, and in 1806 was taken possession of by Zalim Singh, the famous Diwan of Kotah, who, at the intervention of the British Government, gave it up in 181 9, when it was restored to Udaipur. The district now consists of the town and 306 villages, largely inhabited by Minas.