This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Village in Goalpara District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 26 degree 14' N. and 90 degree 34' E., on the north bank of the Brahmaputra at the point where it is joined by the Manas. Popula- tion (1901), 734. A steam ferry plies between Jogighopa and Goal- para, and the telegraph wires are carried beneath the river at this point to the south bank. Prior to the annexation of Assam, Jogighopa was a frontier outpost of Bengal, and a number of Europeans resided here, who forcibly obtained a monopoly of the Bengal trade and were thus enabled to do a lucrative business with the natives who enjoyed similar privileges in Assam. Four large tombs remain as evidence of their occupation, but the inscriptions have disappeared. Jogighopa derives its name from some caves cut out of the rocks near the river bank, which at one time used to be occupied by ascetics. The place is now of little importance, but contains a tahsil belonging to the Bijni estate.